Monday, May 25, 2020

It was really hard for Mom to do - but she did it

Deuce at the beginning of the wall

I hate it when Mom tells me no. It hurts my feelings. She usually has a really good reason, like she knows it will hurt my leg or maybe make me throw up. Being told no for no reason at all is confusing. 


A long time ago, before I was born, Mom wanted a little wall built. She asked three different men to do it for her because men are stronger than women. They can pick up rocks with ease. Their hands are bigger and stronger, too. 

Mom waited a long time for her wall. Twenty-five years is over two of my lifetimes. That's long! 

Well, it so happens that there are a couple of other projects Mom is expected to do this summer for other people. Yesterday, she put her foot down. She was done doing things for other people when she didn't have her wall. Until the wall was done, Mom was done. I don't think it went over too well.  It sure didn't for Mom. She was not happy.

With everything she does around here, a wall is a little thing to ask for. Like really. It's not even a big wall. 

Mom got started on it and I didn't think she'd be able to do it. Rocks are heavy. She had to get the John Deere 1023 out because she couldn't lift the rocks much less carry them to the job site. And then there was the little garter snake she almost grabbed. I don't like snakes!  

finished wall
It took her two days, but she did it. But last night, when the wall was half-finished, Mom cried after we went to bed. She was really, really tired and her back really hurt. It didn't matter how she tried to rest, it hurt. I'm glad I was there for her. 

Now that the wall is done, Mom told me something I just don't understand. She said sometimes it's true having is not as pleasing as wanting. I don't get that. When I want a Griller, getting IS better! Getting a Griller never makes me think that I wanted something so bad and no one would get it for me. That's what Mom says the wall is now. It's a reminder of how so many people didn't care enough to lend her their strength and how bad it made her hurt to physically do it. 

I might only be a dog, but I get it. Being the pack means we don't let each other down, and Mom's pack left her down - and for a long time, too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment