Friday, April 13, 2018

Parasites are a bad thing

I haven't been feeling well the last few days. Is droopy the same as lethargic? Mom has said I'm both. If droopy and lethargic mean I haven't had the energy to play much, then I understand. 

I don't really know when I started to feel bad. Mom's been hovering over me for a few days. She seems to have a sense about these things. She notices everything, too. Like I didn't feel like eating and drinking yesterday and I should have remembered she goes off the rails when I don't drink enough. 

Sure enough, she called the vet. I really hate it when she does that. I'll be bratty and stick my tongue out at her for that. 

I did not have a good time at the vet. The vet took my temperature. Would you like to guess how he did that? THEN, to add insult to injury, he used his finger to try to get a "sample." What the hell? A sample of WHAT? My saliva?

Following that indignity, the vet stuck me with a needle and sucked out my blood. My blood! I need that blood! So now Mom knows I don't have Lyme Disease or heartworm, but it seems I did pick up a nasty parasite somewhere. 

The vet checked my back and hips and said there were no overt problems. My teeth are good and I don't seem to have any blockages, just a... what the heck is a parasite, anyway? Mom needs to explain that a little better because this is uncharted territory for me. 

Anyway, the vet gave me a pain pill then injected fluid under my skin in four places. Mom says I'll be lumpy for awhile but they'll go away. I was given a metrona...metronidaz...metroledazi...  I'm just a Lab. I can't spell it or pronounce but it's supposed to kill the parasite. To help get my stomach back on track while I take the medicine, I get to take Pepcid and eat some special canned dog food. Mom said I cost her $362. Is that a lot of money? It's a good thing Mom loves me.

It's a good thing to get medicine when you need, but the downside is no Frisbee, no ball, no long walks - no nothing - until I've taken all the medicine. That's at least five days. Once I start to feel better, I'm going to be very bored. 

I'd try to talk Dad into playing, but Mom is watching him, too. 








No comments:

Post a Comment