Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mom's fencing me in

Mom and I have a more-or-less private deck just outside her office. She likes to relax out there when Dad is watching sports she doesn't care about on the patio. It's a little tiring for me - I have to run back and forth around the house to keep an eye on both of them. 

The patio is on the other side and end of the house! They couldn't get any farther apart and still be attached to the house. Parents!

Mom's deck is a nice, quiet place, especially early on a Saturday morning before the sun rises over the mountain. In the evenings, we can watch the deer sneak through the yard. There's a problem with chasing them, though.  

It takes too long to go down the steps. The deer see me move and are gone in a white-tailed flash. I don't stand a chance of catching them unless I jump off the deck and therein lies the rub. 

Mom is fencing me in. 

It seems I worried her by behaving as though I was going to jump off. She says it's way too high and I'll land on my nose and break my neck. I don't know - my neck is pretty strong and Mom has always said my head is hard. Anyway, she and Dad went to Lowes without me and ordered railing for along the far end and the front of the deck. 

Mom says it'll be nice, that I'll be safe. I guess Mom is right but somehow I get the impression I'll be staring at the deer through bars. You know. Like jail. 

I'm Deuce! I'm a free spirit! Don't fence me in!



No comments:

Post a Comment