Sunday, June 10, 2018

Chipmunks are FAST!



We have chipmunks. Those little suckers are fast! They zip across my porch at about a gzillion feet
per second! Early this morning Mom and I were sitting on our private porch so she could enjoy her first cup of coffee and one of those critters ran right across my tail. My tail! It happened so fast I couldn't even move! And you know Mom laughed at me. She said I looked surprised. 

Well, yeah. Wouldn't you be surprised if a chippy ran across your tail? 

Mom says we need a cat. I agree. I like cats. I remember Shooter. He lived here when Mom adopted me and made we made a pack. Mom says he was really good at controlling the chipmunk population, and a cat keeps rabbits away, too. I don't know much about that. Rabbits are kind of fun to chase. I like the way their white tails bounce up and down when they run. It helps me keep track of them when I'm going full speed. Mom says I'll never catch one, but it's okay to chase them to the edge of the woods. That's how far I chase the deer when they come into my yard. 

Anyway, Mom says if we had a cat, the chipmunks would move back into the woods to stay safe. She says the little prey animals are smart like that. 

Now that Mom's at her computer, I think I'll lie on the porch for a while longer. There's a lot going on outside this morning. A single deer is down in the woods but he's too far away to chase. The rabbit is out eating clover and four crows are strolling down the lane like they own it. And if that skanky chippy comes back, I'm going to have a chat with him. Being a country Lab has a lot of advantages. If I lived in a town the only thing I'd have to watch is traffic. Boring. 

I hope Mom gets me a kitten soon. When she does, I'm going to be a good big brother and tell him to watch out for chipmunks so they don't get his tail. Living out in the country, we need to look out for each other and for Mom and Dad. 

I'm Deuce. It's what I do. 






1 comment: