Sunday, August 28, 2016

A new noise after dark

Mom and I went outside after dark last night. We do it all time. Being outside after dark is fun. Mom tells me about the stars. I don't care about most of it, but I pay attention when she talks about Sirius, the dog star. Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky, and is part of the constellation Canis Major. Mom says it just goes to show part of the reason dogs are so important. 

I didn't feel very important last night. Actually, I'm a little embarrassed to have to admit it, but I was scared last night. I heard a really eerie sound. I ducked my head, tucked my tail, and trotted toward the house until I remembered Mom would be out there all alone with whatever was making that noise. I might've been scared, but I couldn't allow Mom to be outside by herself. 

Mom didn't seem to be frightened by the sound. She smiled!

"That's a screech owl, baby," she told me. (I love it when she calls me 'baby.' It makes me feel like a puppy again.) "You won't hear many of those calling to their mates over the course of your lifetime, and you'll probably never actually see one. But I like to stop and listen whenever I hear them," she said.

Then we went out on the sunroom porch and listened to the owls call back and forth until they stopped. It made Mom happy, and I'm not scared of owls any longer. 

I'm Deuce, and I keep Mom company outside after dark. 


No comments:

Post a Comment